Dr. Jorge Reyes and Dr. Catalina Madrigal may recommend a night guard to help protect your teeth and smile while you sleep. This oral appliance works to prevent tooth damage, helping you maintain your beautiful smile as well as enjoy better oral health and a good night’s sleep.
What Is a Night Guard?
Night guards are a type of mouth guard used to manage conditions such as bruxism and TMJ disorders. Your night guard is specially designed and created using advanced imaging technology and a 3D printer to fit your mouth perfectly, ensuring that your appliance is both comfortable and effective in protecting your teeth. Night guards work by preventing your upper and lower arches of teeth from touching, distributing biting pressure and protecting your teeth from sustaining damage.
Bruxism (Teeth Grinding and Clenching)
Bruxism, or chronic teeth grinding and clenching, is a common dental problem. It can occur at any time but is most common at night while you are asleep. Signs of nighttime teeth grinding and clenching include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain and ear pain
- A tired or tight feeling in the jaw when waking up
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines, especially in the morning
- Excessive tooth wear
- Tooth damage, including chipped, cracked and flattened teeth
- Worn tooth enamel which exposes the inner layers of the tooth
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Indentations on the side of the tongue
Schedule Your Appointment
We invite you to call TLC Escondido Dental today at 760-741-5775 to schedule a consultation with our dentists and learn more about night guards in Escondido, California.