Signs of implant complications
We encourage you to maintain your regular 6-month check-ins with your dentist. This ensures any small developing implant complications can be caught and addressed as soon as possible. Between visits, call us at (760) 741-5775 if you notice any of the following symptoms of implant failure:
- Severe discomfort & pain
- Loose or shifting implant
- Gum swelling & inflammation
- Gum recession around the implant
- Loose or broken implant crown
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
What causes a failed implant?
A problem with your implant could be caused by one or a combination of factors:
- Gum disease
- Poor dental hygiene
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Insufficient jaw bone
- Improper implant placement
What happens when an implant fails?
Depending on how early we catch the failed implant and the cause and severity of the failure, we’ll create a treatment plan to fit your needs and ensure long-term implant success. Generally, there are a few treatment options that can happen when an implant fails:
- Stabilize the existing implant
- Remove the failed implant, allow time to heal, and address the underlying issue
- Remove and place a new implant immediately
Get a free second opinion
If you’ve received a dental diagnosis from another dentist, our team at TLC Escondido Dental is happy to provide you with a complimentary second opinion.